Miscelaneous thoughts what I mailed to my pals. But once after completed I want to share with all people who ever interested.

Friday, July 03, 2009

"What's in a name?"

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet." - Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2) - Shakespeare.

But in my perception there is a lot at stake in anybody's name. People whose names starts with a higher order of alphabet always struggle when they are called for a debate or in getting invited - not by first came first serve basis, but on the order of alphabetical priority. I know this because of my name with an S. That is the reason I put my daughter's name with an A - Anjana. But she is complaining that she did not have enough time to think about any subject when they are calling to talk her in her college assignments. So there is a point to be noted here as well. So point no 1 is name should start with a "C" or a "D" preferably.

I have an identity crisis till my late age in the life. This is because during my childhood days I was timid. In contrast my elder sister is ferocious and she used to protect me and my eldest sister in our preschool quarrels. Because of her peculiar name "Muni Kanya" I was always Muni Kanya's brother only. For me being two years younger to her is not an issue but for my eldest sister who is two years senior to Muni Kanya also known as Muni Kanya's sister only. Phew - bad luck. In Hyderabad telephone directory Muni Kanya's name is only one of its kind. So point no 2 is try to put a peculiar or odd name. (Also try to be ferocious as well - Sis am sorry and I tried to be like you and learnt that it is not possible for everyone to be like that).

Srinivas is a such a common name in Andhra, so many of them are there with same initials also in every class. During my college days my roommate is also another Srinivas. But Sekhar has christened us Pidi Srinu 1 and 2 which followed for the rest of the years. Later during my job in MACE there are three SRAOs and all are named KS, JS and VS based on their initials. So this JS struck to me finally (other than Muni Kanya's brother) and I liked it because of the simplicity. I thought there is no confusion until one day some body is inquiring about one Mr. PS in stead of JS. To be further simpler like Americans I have to call myself Mr. S. But what is the guarantee that some body may call me Mr. Z. So point no 3 is no name is not so simple to avoid confusion.

In contrast longer names do have advantages. Let me quote a joke. (source of this is not identified but duly acknowledged). In one of the international flights Bond sat by the side of an Indian and an Andhrite. Casually Bond introduced himself in his typical way "I am Bond - James Bond". Our friend snapped back "I am Rao, - Subba Rao, - Venkata Subba Rao, - Naga Venkata Subba Rao (Bond frowned), - Siva Naga Venkata Subba Rao (Bond yawned), Satya Siva Naga Venkata Subba Rao (Bond fainted). The joke ends with our friend commenting "Do not play games with Indians..". Point No 4 long names are comfortable because you can trim yourself in whatever way you like and your spouse call whatever way she / he likes and a bit of that name always exist over there.

Also some times a few names of persons or places just ring a bell in our memory and recollect that person or an activity immediately. For example if you want your daughter to become a tennis star put her name in such a way that it ends with a Pova, Eva or a Nova. Cut the scene you are sitting in Rolland Garrows or Wimbledon waving your hand from the stands vigorously cheering your daughter against William Sisters if they do not retire by that time.

There are other ways of world recognizing us with our name other than the above guidelines. Now a days it is the famous TAST (Throw A shoe Technique). Throw one on the face of a famous personality and chances are there that we may land in Teehar jail but next day we will become a personality of Who is Who in all GK books. Generations next will remember you with your name being sought for a quiz contest. Some body kindly advise other than this any short cuts to become famous with our names over night.......

1 comment:

meera said...

Fun to read. Good humour!

About Me

At times I feel have learnt enough being in the industry for two decades. Of late learnt what I know is just nothing - It is a hard earned truth.